Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Rachel and Leah: Women of Genesis by Orson Scott Card

This is the last published book in Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis series.  I really enjoyed it.  I never really understood why a father would trick his future son-in-law by giving him the wrong daughter to marry.  Granted, this is fiction, and Card only has a few verses in the Bible to go by, but I love the story he weaves in Rachel and Leah about 4 strong and very different women.  It made Genesis chapter 29 much more interesting to read.  I don't know that I buy Card's interpretation that Rachel was really that scared about getting married, but who knows?  It makes a good story.  I loved the stories of Bilhah and Zilpah that come into this.  It is really the story of 4 women, not just 2.  I was excited at the end to read that Card plans to write a 4th and 5th in this series, but it is obviously not his first priority because this was published in 2004.  I read an interview by him in 2010 that said the next book would not be out this year or the next, but I am hopeful for 2012?  This book really ends in a place where you need the next book right away.  I couldn't believe it ended right there.  It ends right after Rachel marries Jacob, and Leah thinks she is pregnant.  The next installment is to be called The Wives of Israel.  I won't be holding my breathe until it comes out because I can't hold my breathe that long, but I will anxiously await it.  I like his writing.  I will have to check out some of his other genre works.                                                                                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment